Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Cubes

 On Wednesday, I popped to B & M, the discount ‘we-sell-everything-and-anything’ shop in order to purchase a cheap yet solid storage unit for my writing room. I had researched on-line (they don’t do deliveries) and checked that the unit I had my eye on was in stock in Drayton. It was. I was quite keen to have the oak effect one, but that wasn’t available so, in honour of Mrs Rusty Duck, I opted for grey instead. As I said, I wanted something cheap, and simple in design. No fuss, no bother, no flimsy shelves. 

I was set for a Ninja shopping trip. I would be in and out in 5 minutes.

Pah! 

Arriving early evening, I put a pound in the trolley ready to carry the heavy unit. I took a deep breath, donned my face covering, and marched briskly onwards, heading to where the flat pack furniture was displayed and stored. Except it wasn’t there. Things had been moved in that annoying game shops play, waiting until you’ve got the hang of their layout and then scuppering your routine by introducing a round of musical products. If their intention is to place new products in my eye-line to make me buy more, it is a misplaced intention. It just makes me cross. 

I pushed my trolley around in search of the flat pack furniture. I wondered if the shop’s website had lied and they no longer stocked the stuff. And then I glanced upwards to the second floor which is open plan so you can see what is up there through the glass barriers. And there it was! Furniture. Heavy furniture. Up some stairs.

Right. Well, I had a trolley. How was I going to get the trolley up two sets of stairs to get my display unit which was heavy? I stopped a shop assistant and enquired of him the same. Was there a lift, maybe? 

‘Has your trolley got your pound coin in it?’ said he. 

I confirmed it did.

‘I’ll park it by the checkout for you,’ he said, with an unnecessary cheerfulness that suggested he thought he was being helpful but had, in fact, completely missed answering my question. And then he grabbed the trolley and marched off with it! 

Whilst I was glad no ne’er do well ruffian type would make off with my trolley containing my fine English pound coin deposit, I still had a problem. Face covering panic was beginning to set in which wasn’t helping. This turn of events had NOT figured in my carefully planned Ninja shopping trip. I had a choice. Make a run for fresh air and lose my pound coin. Or make a dash upstairs for the storage unit and somehow lump it downstairs, sans trolley, and complete my purchase. 

Reader, I was brave. With fortitude and determination I made a dash upstairs. 

You know people report they develop a sort of superhuman strength when faced with a situation of great peril? Well, that was me! I located my chosen unit, grabbed it and HEFTED  it upon my granny shoulder. I was like an army cadet on a route march carrying a tree trunk! Back across the upper floor, down the stairs, through the aisles and to the checkouts I went, before dumping it unceremoniously on the conveyor belt. 

‘I have a trolley here somewhere,’ I announced, feeling very hot and very muffled behind the face covering.

‘Oh yes, it’s over there,’ said the checkout person. Mr Helpful re-appeared.

‘Shall I get it for you?’ he said, still all smiles and cheerfulness. 

‘Thanks,’ I said, paying the bill.

‘Would you like some help taking it to your car?’ said Mr Helpful, arriving with my trolley.

I arched an ironic eyebrow. I think the gesture was lost on him. ‘I’ve got a trolley, thanks,’ I said. 

Anyway, here it is...


As you can see, it is almost full. A bit of rearranging is required in order to reach peak aesthetic display, but I’m very pleased with it. Storage goal achieved, even in the face of adversity! 


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar